Friday, April 9, 2010

Pork (Turkey) Meatball Banh Mi

I have developed a "like" for spicy food. It has been fairly recently that I have enjoyed spicy food more than I used to.

This is one spicy sandwich.

I have never had a Banh Mi, so I am definitely not an expert on what they are supposed to look like or taste like. I saw this recipe for a Meatball Banh Mi in a recent issue of Bon Appetit and I thought it looked delicious, plus it was really interesting.

I finally got around to making this sandwich a couple of weeks ago. I halved the recipe for everything except the meatballs, because I knew just from looking at the ingredients that this was going to be a little too spicy for my kids. I thought they could probably handle the meatballs though, so I decided I would make them little noodle bowls with the meatballs included. (This is not something I usually do- making the kids a separate little dinner, but this time the heat was too much for them to handle.)

I used lean ground turkey for the meatballs and greek yogurt instead of mayo for the hot "mayo" spread. I also used a whole wheat baguette for my sandwich.

This sandwich definitely had a really spicy hot bite to it, but it was really tasty! I really liked it and I thought of my younger sister when I took that first spicy bite because she would love this sandwich.

For the noodle bowls, I just sauteed a big head of napa cabbage and some matchstick carrots, then added that to some noodles and topped it with the meatballs.

If you like spicy sandwiches or love Banh Mi, you will definitely want to try this recipe. Or if you just are intrigued and want something new for dinner- give it a shot!



*I used Greek Yogurt for the hot, spicy mayo sauce
* I used lean ground turkey instead of ground pork

Recipe for Pork Meatball Bahn Mi

5 comments:

Kayte said...

I am intrigued. I am the one here who does not do well with very spicy food, the guys all love it, the spicier the better. I am just beginning to hear about this Banh Mi stuff and am intrigued. Think I should give it a go? Hope all is well with you...am on spring break and catching up with blog reading on down times...nothing else to do as I am not in my kitchen or at home to throw laundry in and out, etc. Kind of freeing actually!

stacief said...

I LOVE bahn mi's and this sounds like a great twist!

Chef Aimee said...

I love banh mi and yours looks amazing - delicious!

Jessica said...

Your banh mi looks amazing. I made this a couple of months ago and I loved it, but you're right -- it's really spicy! I love that you used Greek yogurt for the mayo, what a great idea!

The noodle bowl looks amazing, too! I can't wait to try this recipe!

zegliano said...

I too have developed a love of spicy things recently. I can't wait to try this. Looks great!