Monday, April 26, 2010

Green Fruit Salad with Rosemary

Please excuse some of these photos lately! When my family was visiting from Utah, I really didn't take the time to get a good picture of some of the recipes that I really wanted to share.

I tasted this at a recent book club get together and knew there was a secret little something in the fruit salad besides the green apple, kiwi and green grapes.
I asked the hostess what is was and quickly decided that I would definitely be making this at home. A Rosemary simple syrup was the secret ingredient that added that punch of flavor.

I used the simply syrup recipe that I have used with other fruit salads before that is usually flavored with citrus juice and zest and just added fresh rosemary sprigs instead of the citrus. I just guessed on the number of fruits to use, so if you want more green apple or kiwi or grapes, feel free to add more of that fruit.

It might sound like a crazy combination, but it is so amazing.
I took this salad to one of our family dinners and everyone raved about it.

Green Fruit Salad with Rosemary
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
fresh rosemary- I used a lot
2 green apples, cored and chopped
3 kiwis, peeled and chopped
3 cups green grapes, halved

Combine sugar, water and rosemary in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate until chilled.
Combine chopped fruit in a large bowl. Strain the rosemary from the syrup and add the syrup to the fruit. Stir to combine and chill until time to serve.

5 comments:

Shelby said...

Perfect to serve on St. Patrick's Day too! ;o)

Sook said...

Oh I love fresh fruit salad like this. I like the addition of rosemary! Nice!

Prudy said...

That looks soooo fresh and yummy!

My name is Michelle. said...

I made this last night and took it over to a BBQ. I really liked it and the birthday girl LOVED it. I will definitely make it again.

Kelley said...

Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum! The rosemary is a perfect counterpoint to the sweetness of the fruit. I added a few things, though, because I thought they would go nicely, and they did. I added peeled, chopped cucumber, some red grapes, and some strawberries. We also discovered that something crunchy over the top makes it even better. We used soaked, dehydrated buckwheat groats, but sunflower seeds would have been yummy, too. This is quickly becoming a family favorite; I've made it twice in two days!