I saw this recipe in Southern Living magazine, and thought it just sounded like a really simple summer dish. I made it on the same day that we had the Garden Sliders, so I ended up roasting a whole bunch of zucchini and summer squash in the oven and pretty much did my own thing as far as this recipe goes.
These stacks were supposed to be taller and probably wider, but I wanted to make them smaller and simpler, so we just had 1 slice of summer squash, 1 slice of mozzarella, and 1 slice of zucchini per stack. Some of them we topped off with a slice of roasted red pepper, just for fun.
The roasted red pepper sauce was really good. We used it as a spread for our sandwiches later and it held up really well.
I love summer. So many fresh vegetables and fruits that can be easily prepared to make delicious meals!
Summer Squash Stacks with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce from Southern Living Magazine
- 1 medium-size yellow squash, cut diagonally into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices (about 3/4 lb.)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices (about 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8.8-oz.) package fresh mozzarella cheese
- 16 basil leaves
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce
- Garnish: freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush squash and zucchini with oil; place in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
2. Cut mozzarella into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Cut each slice in half. Place half of zucchini on a serving platter. Layer with half each of mozzarella and basil. Top with yellow squash. Layer with remaining mozzarella, basil, and zucchini. Top with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce. Garnish, if desired.
- 1 (7-oz.) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
1. Process all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.