Friday, August 14, 2009

Blackberry-Peach Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping

I am not really sure how some things qualify as breakfast , when they have the word cake in the recipe title; I won't complain because I like making treats and this one was enjoyed by the entire family- they loved it warm and they loved it cold- I made quite a few changes, including the size (I made 2 4-inch cakes and 2 smaller than those), the changes in the recipe are included in bold; I am short on words, so enjoy a few pics- in a few days the situation will be fixed.





Blackberry-Peach Coffee Cake adapted from Southern Living Magazine


Prep: 20 min.; Bake: 1 hr., 10 min.; Cool: 1 hr., 30 min.


Streusel Topping
1/2 cup butter, softened (I used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup vanilla flavored Greek style yogurt)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk (I used 1/3 cup whole milk and 1/3 cup skim)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups peeled and sliced fresh firm, ripe peaches (about 2 large peaches, 7 oz. each)
1 cup fresh blackberries
Powdered sugar
Garnishes: fresh blackberries, sliced peaches

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare Streusel Topping.

2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.

3. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan; top with sliced peaches and blackberries. Pinch off 1-inch pieces of Streusel Topping, and drop over fruit.

4. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until center of cake is set. (A wooden pick inserted in center will not come out clean.) Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 1/2 hours). Dust with powdered sugar. Garnish, if desired.

Note: We found that using a shiny or light-colored pan gave us the best results. If you have a dark pan, wrap the outside of the pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil to get a similar result.

Peach Coffee Cake: Omit blackberries. Increase peaches to 3 cups sliced (about 3 large peaches, 7 oz. each). Proceed with recipe as directed

Streusel Topping


Prep: 10 min.

This recipe goes with Blackberry-Peach Coffee Cake, Peach Coffee Cake



1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating well. Add flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg; beat just until blended.

I didn't follow the streusel directions. I mixed 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Then I cut in 4 Tbls of cold butter and sprinkled it on top of the coffee cake.

One Year Ago- Panzanella

14 comments:

Marie said...

Those look quite, quite delicious Mary Ann! Our Blackberries are ripening on the hedgerows right now!

Anja said...

The combination sounds great, I like ecpecially your flavored streusel recipe with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. I will adapt it.

Karine said...

I love the colors of this coffee ckae ans it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Cody said...

Yumm! The perfect combo of crumbly and juicy.. I'm drinking coffee right now - and it just doesn't seem complete now without some blackberry peach streusel cake! beautiful! fantastic job.

xo. Cody

Sam@BingeNYC said...

Shhh, cake is completely fine for breakfast...it does have the word "coffee" in it as well, right? Looks delicious!!!

Phoebe and Cara, the Quarter-Life Cooks said...

we've also been mixing peaches, blueberries, and strudel! http://www.biggirlssmallkitchen.com/2009/08/baking-for-others-fruit-apathy.html
...haven't eaten it for breakfast though. Your photos are beautiful--thanks!

Colleen said...

This looks like the perfect summer coffee cake! I love the big chunks of fruit in there.

Chef Jeena said...

Looks lovely especially with the struesel topping yum yum!

Barbara Bakes said...

Looks like a perfect breakfast to me!

Joyce said...

My idea of a breakfast! Yummy.
Joyce

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVE steusel toppings!

Jamie said...

Mary Ann,

I can eat coffee cake any time. This looks great with the fresh fruit in it. I have to put this on my list to try.

Cathy said...

This coffee cake looks beautiful, Mary Ann, and I love your substitutions. This is pretty much the perfect breakfast in my book!

pinkstripes said...

Looks and sounds delicious! YUM.