I enjoy eating salad, but I find that I need lots of variety with my salads so that I don't get bored.
This salad was just about perfect in every way. Quinoa is the star of the show, or in this case, the star of the salad. Celery adds a nice crunch, as do the pepitas. The dried apricots add just the perfect amount of chewiness and sweet. I actually omitted the honey from the dressing because of the dried apricots. If there is one thing I can't handle in a salad, it is too much sweetness. I prefer the savory-ness to win out. There is lots of parsley, which adds so much freshness and flavor. Green onions add a little bit of spice/heat.
The dressing is nice and simple, just the way I like it- olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper.
I actually served this over romaine and it was a great combination. The next day I fried an egg in a tiny amount of olive oil and had it with the leftovers. Delicious.
I also shared this recipe with my mom a couple of weeks ago when she called to ask me for some meal ideas and she report back that they loved it too!
Recipe for Quinoa and Parsley Salad
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
- 1. Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Spoon into a bowl; fluff with a fork. Add parsley, celery, onions, and apricots.
- 2. Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt, and black pepper. Add to quinoa mixture, and toss well. Top with seeds.
* I omitted the honey from the dressing
* I used red quinoa