Thursday, January 7, 2010

Kale Chips

I know that everyone gets different cravings.
Some people crave chocolate, some crave sweets. Then there are people who crave salty or spicy.
I have never been one who craves salty foods, but my younger sister would take french fries or potato chips over a chocolate bar, any day.
Not that she eats french fries or potato chips everyday, but Santa used to bring her a big bag of Lays Potato Chips on Christmas day, while my older sister and I would get chocolate covered donuts or something.

The point is, we all crave certain things and there is a solution to solving your salty craving.
If you don't have a salty craving, here is a healthy snack that you will love anyway.

I first tried Kale Chips after reading the Dinner Dairies-Raising Whole Wheat Kids in a White Bread World. One woman's story about how she tried to change the way her family ate by making their meals more healthy, local, humane, etc.
It is a great book and Betsy Block, the author, includes recipes along with her story. You can see a couple of the other recipes I tried HERE, the same post where I talked about Kale Chips before.

I am telling you right now, there is no way that any one could not like this Kale. It absolutely transforms into something crispy and delicious.
My family plows through it and we have been eating these frequently, from the day I first tried them.
I love kale in lots of other ways, but if you are going to try it for the first time, try it this way.
I pretty much guarantee success.

Kale Chips from The Dinner Diaries, adapted from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven
1 head curly kale
canola oil cooking spray
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (I sometimes preheat to 400 degrees)

Wash and dry the kale and then chop or tear it into medium-size pieces. Spread it out onto a nonstick baking sheet. Spray the kale lightly with oil, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until light and crunchy (check every few minutes and give the pan a little shake to avoid burning.

7 comments:

Anshika said...

This is such an easy one and so very healthy. Thanks a ton dear !!

Allison Zick said...

I make these all the time.. they are soooo good!! I even add some parmesan during the last 5 minutes and some red pepper flakes for spice!

Unknown said...

I've never had kale but I'm intrigued. I'm pretty sure I couldn't convince Shane to eat them (he's figured out that green foods = veggies no matter how I cook them) but I definitely want to give them a try!

megan said...

I've tried these before, and for some reason just don't seem to like them. Everyone raves about them though, so maybe I cooked them too long or something? I definitely need to try again, because I love crispy salty things. i bet my husband would love them too.

Kayte said...

I am going to try this. You have such a way of finding unique recipes and using things in unique ways. So happy to know you. Thanks for the post!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I love kale, and while I've read about kale chips I have yet to try them. Yours look so delicious!!

oneordinaryday said...

Oh, how funny! I posted about kale chips last week!
We are totally hooked on them. So nutty and delicious.