Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday's with Dorie- Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread

This week's Tuesday's with Dorie recipe, Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread, was chosen by Heather of Sherry Trifle. You can find the recipe on her blog.
I thought it was sort of funny that she chose this recipe, because it was in the running for my choice when I started my list of things I might choose when my turn came. The picture in the book looks gingery and delicious.
Dorie says to make this in a 9x9-inch pan, but I wanted smaller servings, so I went with my 2 mini-bundt pans and I also had enough batter to fill a mini-muffin pan.
I added frozen cranberries to half of my batter and left out the stem ginger in syrup.
I took these to a party where there was a chocolate fountain, so I figured that people could give them a nice showering of chocolate on top, if they wanted to.
Overall, the results were split. Some people loved these- especially with the cranberries. Others thought they were too chocolaty. I actually didn't get to try anything but a crumb, but they all disappeared, so I guess there were enough people who liked them, right? Check out what everyone else thought by checking out the Tuesday's with Dorie blogroll!


Coming Tomorrow- Spinach and Artichoke Heart Gratin


25 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

The results were split with my tasters too. I wasn't a fan of the chocolate in the cake. Y your cranberry addition sounds yummy.
Nancy

Sabrina said...

Very pretty! Nice job!

Maria said...

I love that you added cranberries. The cakes are very cute!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful minis. Sorry you didn't get to try them. I liked the chocolate addition but I love chocolate.

chocolatechic said...

I guess you'll have to make it again so you can have some.

Jessica said...

I love the mini bundts! They're so cute. And I also love the addition of cranberries, what a great idea.

Cathy said...

You've got me wanting to go out and buy mini bundt pans now, Mary Ann! I always love the desserts that you made in your minis. From what I have seen (and this was certainly my experience) this was just one of those "mixed reviews" kind of recipes. Yours look beautiful -- I wouldn't mind standing next to a chocolate fountain with one of those!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you didn't even get to try it? You missed out. I absolutely adored this cake. I love the way your mini-cakes look.

vibi said...

Gorgeous, Mary! Seems so moist and tender... wow.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

they look great--you'll have to make the recipe again so you can try for yourself!!

kimberly salem said...

they look so cute as mini bundts! the cranberries sound good, i'll have to try thatr :)

Pamela said...

They were really good, so I'm sorry you didn't get to sample some. I'm glad everyone else seemed to enjoy them, though. :o)

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

WOW, how beautiful! I just love your blog...so colorful and creative!

A chocolate fountain???? DANGEROUS!

Tammy said...

I love your little bundt cakes - so cute.

Leslie said...

I think the little bundts look so cute! Funny how these desserts just disappear. I think cranberries would be fabulous; I must try that when I make this one again.

Not Another Omnivore said...

I loved your blog so I bookmarked it and I was like why doesn't this girl ever post! Getting all angry like. And then I realized I bookmarked a specific post, not your blog.

Sometimes I hate myself.

I'm glad I figured things out, because I still love your blog.

NAOmni

Jules Someone said...

I always forget about my mini bundt pans. We loved it but were split on the frosting issue.

Unknown said...

I love mini bundt cakes! Every time I see them on others' blogs, I want to run to the store and buy the pans. Great job on the cakes!!

The Food Librarian said...

Yours are so cute! I like how you added cranberries too.

farah said...

I love that you made mini bundts, they look gorgeous :)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Make it again so you could have the whole thing to yourself! It is SO good! Love the addition of the cranberries!

TeaLady said...

AAHHH!! Cranberries. Love the little hint of red it added to that top gingerbread. Nice addition.

Engineer Baker said...

Cranberries, for serious? That sounds delicious! And the idea of passing these through a chocolate fountain just makes me giddy :)

dharmagirl said...

I love the idea of adding cranberries--inspired!

Marie Rayner said...

They must have liked them if they all disappeared! I loved this myself. I didn't think the melted chocolate in the batter was overpowering, but I think if I make it again I'll leave out the chocolate chunks. I don't think they really added anything. Mine sunk to the bottom. I thought it was a great gingerbread though!