Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jicama and Orange Salad with Ginger-Sesame Vinaigrette

I have been having trouble getting pictures of the dishes I am making lately. It isn't safe to bet I can take a picture of the leftovers, because sometimes there aren't any. I took a picture of this salad after we had tossed it with the dressing, but before we topped it with the toasted sesame seeds. So, just imagine some crunchy, toasted sesame seeds on top and you will complete the picture.
The dressing was scrumptious and the combination of fruits and veggies was perfect. There was just enough sweetness and some crunch with the jicama and bell pepper. My kids love Jicama- they gobble it up. I added some romaine to the salad as well and cut my bell peppers into bite-size pieces, they are so much easier to eat that way.
Colorful and delicious!

Jicama and Orange Salad from Cooking Light
6 cups (3 x 1/4-inch) strips peeled jicama (about 1 pound)
6 cups lightly packed baby spinach (about 3 ounces)
1 cup orange sections (about 2 oranges)
1 cup red bell pepper strips
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
2/3 cup Ginger-Sesame Vinaigrette*
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with Ginger-Sesame Vinaigrette, and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.


*Ginger-Sesame Vinaigrette adapted from Cooking Light
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons canola oil
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in green onions and the remaining ingredients.

Note: Refrigerate vinaigrette in an airtight container for up to five days; stir well before using.

Coming Tomorrow- Rice Pudding with Pomegranate Syrup

3 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I have been having camera problems too Mary Ann. I've got a new one now so just have to work out the bells and whistles. Your salad looks fabulous. I wonder what you could substiture for Jicama? You can't get that over here.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your salad is so pretty and I love how you added romaine. Yum!
Nancy

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love the dressing. I am looking forward to your pomogranate syrup post as I love anything pomogranate.