Wow! Boot Camp, which is an awesome workout that combines cardio, strength training, intervals, etc. and starting training for a half marathon with other Boot Campers. I became a part of a great support system. I also got serious about my nutrition. I started keeping a food diary and writing down every single thing that I ate. Every little bite. Now I use Lose It! as a way to track my calories and exercise.
It hasn't been easy. I have had to change my lifestyle. I thought I was eating healthy before, but keeping a food diary has helped me realize exactly what I was consuming and also helped me realize that I was consuming too much. I have reduced the refined sugar and flour that I eat. I have increased the lean protein that I consume. I have changed my ways.
My brother got married last weekend and I couldn't have enjoyed myself more. I fit into a lovely dress and felt great about being in a million pictures. I am truly happy and loved our time with family. I was able to cook and bake for my family while we were in Utah visiting and will share some of the recipes below.
I made this Kale and Feta Egg Bake before we went to Utah in 2 single servings, but also made it in Utah to serve 15 people. It will take longer to bake if you make it in a 9*13-inch dish, but it still works. I reduced the amount of cheese and oil, just to keep the calories in check. When I made it for myself, I used 1 egg and 1 egg white, instead of 2 eggs. I love this dish and plan to keep in rotation for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can reduce the feta even more and just do a little sprinkle on the top for a hit of flavor. You can follow me on Pinterest, if you are interested in the recipes and things that have caught my eye.
Here is the original recipe for Kale and Feta Egg Bake
* I doubled the amount of marinara and kale
* I used half the amount of oil and feta
* I used 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
* I served Sweet Potato Biscuits on the side
Other recipes I made and shared with a crowd last week in Utah-
Greek Salad with Orzo and Black-Eyed Peas
Savory Cornmeal and Chive Waffles with salsa and eggs
* I used half whole wheat flour
* I did not use melted butter in these waffles. I used 1/4 cup of canola oil and a couple extra Tablespoons of low fat buttermilk.
* I also used this recipe as a base for a sweet waffle- omitted the herbs and added 2 tsps of sugar.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Black Beans
* I didn't puree the dressing, I just added the jalapenos, lime juice and other ingredients
the the roasted veggies & beans
* I used less olive oil than called for, both when roasted the sweet potatoes and when dressing the salad
Pecan Crusted Chicken Tenders and Salad with Tangy Maple Dressing
* I have made this multiple times and never fry the tenders in as much oil as it calls for. I use about 2 Tablespoons of canola oil and cooking spray.
Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
Blackberry, Lemon and Thyme Muffins
* I used half whole wheat flour in this recipe
Thick and Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies