Thursday, July 30, 2009

CEiMB-Cobb Salad

This week's Craving Ellie in my Belly recipe, Cobb Salad, was chosen by The Feast Within.
I haven't ever made Cobb Salad before. I decided I would serve this when my dear friend came over for dinner with her 3 kids. I prepped all the different ingredients- chopped cherry tomatoes, blue cheese, avocado, crispy ham, bell peppers (not called for in the recipe, but I had some, so I chopped them), cooked chicken, chopped hard-boiled egg, and placed each of them in a little bowl with a serving spoon. Then, I mixed the romaine and baby spinach (the recipe called for watercress) and placed them in the center of the table.

I let everyone "make" their own salad and dress it with the delicious dressing if they wanted to.
My hubby thought the layout on the table was really pretty and asked me if I had taken a picture of it. I didn't, but I was impressed by his comment. Thanks, honey!

I instead took a pic of an individual serving, minus the fabulous dressing.

This was a really great dinner. Everyone was really happy with the salads they created and I found out my 4-year old loves blue cheese.

Check out the CEiMB Blogroll to see the other tasty salads this week!



Find the Recipe for Cobb Salad here



17 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

What a beautiful presentation of what sounds like a delicious salad! I am most impressed that the children enjoyed it! (especially the blue cheese) I love blue cheese myself.

Pamela said...

Nice job! That presentation must have been something for your husband to notice!! I really enjoyed this one, as you know, and look forward to having it again soon. Delicious for summer!

Anonymous said...

That looks great. I wish I had done the same by laying it out and having everyone make there own. We enjoyed this mix anyway.

Bella Baker said...

ooooh, make your own cobb salad!! I LOVE IT!! The salad looks gorgeous and so delicious!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE cobb salad- with more bleu cheese than a normal person could stand!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Gorgeous salad and photo!

Anonymous said...

YUM. Great pictures. Love cobb salad. (well w/o the ham and/or bacon).

Alyssa said...

Love the way you served it. I absolutely love avocado and yours looks delish!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to let everyone pick their own toppings. Nice picture!

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks like a great salad!

Cathy said...

I love the "make your own salad" party! It really does look so pretty and delicious. This is a great summer meal; I thought the dressing was really good!

Jessica said...

A cobb salad bar is such a great idea! I love the rectangle plate, and your perfectly arranged rows of goodies!

Maria Salomon said...

love the "make your own Cobb Salad" idea, I'll have to try that on my kids.....they'll love it!
Nice salad!

sara said...

Beautiful - that is the way a cobb salad should look. I would expect to see that as an appetizer in a restaurant, great job! Love the cobb salad bar idea.

The Food Librarian said...

mare, this looks great! love the presentation and plate. what a perfect salad for summer.

Anonymous said...

That presentation is wonderful. I would love for someone to put a plate (or is that a platter) in front of me, looking like that.

Unknown said...

Your salad is gorgeous - it looks so pretty on that long plate!