Sunday, June 7, 2009

Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits


I actually made these Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits a couple of weeks before I made the version they are adapted from- Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits, but posted about the other biscuits first.
I was drawn to this recipe because it was another great way to use canned pumpkin and also because any type of bread makes a great addition to any meal. I can't even remember what dinner we had these with, but I was surprised at the height I got out of them and also was very pleased with the taste and texture.
These biscuits would be great with breakfast, lunch or dinner. They would also be great as a snack. I have made them since and we really like them. So, give them a try if you like pumpkin and biscuits- a great combination!


Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits from Cooking Light
A light hand with the dough will help to ensure tender biscuits. This method of folding the dough creates irresistible flaky layers. To maximize the number of biscuits you get from the recipe, gather the dough scraps after cutting and gently pat or reroll to a 3/4-inch thickness.
9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup fat-free buttermilk
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons honey

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
3. Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well blended; add canned pumpkin. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Reroll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 3/4-inch biscuit cutter to form 14 dough rounds. Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400° for 14 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks. Serve warm.


Coming Tomorrow- Tuesday's with Dorie- Parisian Apple Tartlet with 6 fruits

13 comments:

Carolyne said...

Those look fantastic! I love anything pumpkin, so I'll have to give these a whirl!

Steph said...

I love the height on your biscuits!

Meghan said...

These biscuits sound incredible. I love all things pumpkin, and I like how these are more of a savory take on that flavor. These sound pretty simple to make too!

Risa said...

These look fantastic. I would love to serve these with some honey butter!

Leslie said...

Boy, do these look delicious! I bet they would be great with butter, or better yet, chutney. I've got to try these!

Marie Rayner said...

Those look fabulous Mary Ann!! I just love cooking light recipes!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This looks really delicious

Maria said...

Wish I had one of these right now!!

Unknown said...

Oh I like it! We love all things pumpkin so I'll give it a go and let you know how it is.

Michele said...

These biscuits look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kasha said...

I love pumpkin anything! Those look great!

Christy said...

I LOVE pumpkin and your biscuits look delicious!! I'm certainly going to try these soon.

Creative Classroom Core said...

I am a huge pumpkin fan, so these are my kind of biscuits!