Monday, June 16, 2008

Rachael Ray's Fish Tacos

I love fish tacos. I try them whenever I have the chance at restaurants and have made them once before at home. I have been wanting to make this version ever since I saw RR make them on her show. They were so delicious! The seasoning on the fish was wonderful and everyone raved. I will definitely make these again!



Fish Tacos with Quick Slaw, Avocado Sauce and Green Rice adapted from Rachael Ray's Daytime Show
Ingredients
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for drizzling
2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cups chicken stock, divided
4 firm white fish filets, I used Cod
Zest and juice of 3 limes, divided
1 tablespoon grill seasoning
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander (I couldn't find any)
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons hot sauce (I used a couple dashes)
1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded
1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
3/4 pound baby spinach
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup sour cream (I used plain greek yogurt)
1 clove garlic, grated
12 6 to 8-inch flour tortillas
Yields: 4 servings
Preparation
Preheat broiler, grill or large, nonstick skillet – whichever you prefer.

Place a medium-size pot over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Toss the jalapeƱos into the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add in the rice and cook about a minute (you’re toasting it, so it's ready when it starts to smell nutty). Add in 2 1/2 cups stock and bring up to a bubble. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer the rice until tender, about 20 minutes.

While the rice is working, season the fish filets on both sides with the lime zest, grill seasoning, cumin and coriander. Lightly drizzle some EVOO over the filets and cook: If you're broiling, the fish should take about 6 minutes to cook (3 minutes per side); if you're grilling, the filets should take about 8 minutes to cook (4 minutes per side); if you're cooking them on the stovetop, they should take about 8 minutes to cook (4 minutes per side). Once the fish is cooked, transfer the filets to a plate and cover them with aluminum foil until you're ready – just don't let them sit too long here!

Once you've got the fish cooking, prepare the quick slaw by mixing together the juice of 2 limes, honey, hot sauce, some salt and freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of EVOO. Add the cabbage and red onion, toss to combine and set aside.

Make the "green" part of the rice by pureeing together the baby spinach, cilantro and remaining vegetable stock (about 1/2 cup) in a food processor. Dump the mixture into a dish and reserve it until the rice is finished cooking. Rinse out the food processor bowl and make the avocado sauce by pureeing together the avocado, sour cream, garlic and the juice of the remaining lime. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and set aside.

When the rice has finished cooking, stir in the green sauce and transfer the rice to a serving bowl or platter.
Assemble the fish tacos by shredding the fish filets (each one should give you enough meat for 3 tacos) and place some meat into each tortilla. Top them off with a little of the quick slaw and some avocado sauce. Serve each person 3 tacos and some green rice, and enjoy!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Wow is all I can say I wish I was a member of your family, you guys eat so well. It was great talking to you. When we finally get together you can cook for me and I will take some pictures of your kids. Deal?

Judi A. said...

You didn't say if you agreed with your sister that the muffins tasted like donuts. Definitely a deciding factor for me if I should make them or not since I'm a donut lover. :-)

Mary Ann said...

I am not a big donut fan, but I think that the muffins tasted similar to a cake donut. so yes, i agree.