Friday, January 14, 2011

Curried Butternut Squash and Potato Latkes with Apple Salsa


I've never had Latkes before, so I am certainly not an expert. I have no idea how they should taste, what they should look like, etc. I just saw a section of Cooking Light recently that was dedicated to different types of latkes and these ones, with the combination of butternut squash and potatoes, caught my eye. I liked the idea of the apple salsa too.

I tackled this recipe the day after Christmas.
There was all this talk of it snowing here in Georgia for Christmas and I really didn't think it was going to happen. Maybe it is because I can't stand the white stuff or just because I like to think that it is impossible for snow to come here (even though it has on occasion), but sure enough, Christmas night, it started to snow. And it didn't stop until the next morning. Church was canceled, we were snowed in and it felt like the perfect day to try these guys.

The peeling and shredding of the squash and potatoes is what takes up the most time, but when you are snowed in, what else are you going to do?
Draining the liquid in a colander didn't work for me, I had to literally squeeze out all the liquid. I had read or heard somewhere that this is a very necessary step to have good latkes.
There was a nice bit of heat in these from the jalapeno (I used this instead of a serrano pepper) and I have to say that I think the apple salsa was a really nice compliment to these latkes.

My daughter & I really loved these, some of the others thought they were just okay. I served them with a little bit of unsweetened, natural applesauce and a dab of greek yogurt, alongside the apple salsa.

Recipe for Curried Butternut Squash and Potato Latkes with Apple Salsa
* I used a jalapeno pepper instead of a serrano pepper


5 comments:

Mumsy said...

Wow. I think I need to make these. I've been wanting to make latkes. My husband loves them and so do my kids. (!) The apple salsa sounds so refreshing. I have everything except red onion, lime, and cilantro.

I love all these things you make. You and I have the same taste buds I think.

Kerstin said...

I've never made latkes before either, but these look so great with the butternut squash and I love your toppings :)

bjandcec said...

Hi Mare! We have numerous winter squash in the garage that need to be eaten up and this is on the menu for tonight. I LOVE your blog. You are the best.

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds very delicious. Yum.

Unknown said...

I must make potato latkes! I see them everywhere and yet I never do it!