Thursday, February 4, 2010

CEiMB-Curried Chicken Salad

This week's CEiMB recipe, Curried Chicken Salad, was chosen by Sarah, who blogs over at Sarah's Kitchen Adventures. You can find the recipe on her blog or by clicking HERE.
This will be the last time that I am participating in CEiMB and what a great recipe to go out on.

I really loved this one.
I made a few changes, which I noted on the recipe below.

I love curry powder, so I was pretty sure that I would like this take on chicken salad.
My mom makes a chicken dish that combines plain yogurt and curry powder, so the flavor wasn't really anything new to me.
Of course, I did not use mayo at all. Don't like it and never will.
I just subbed non-fat Greek yogurt.
I also subbed in pecans for the almonds, because I had them on hand. I just mixed them into the salad.
I love that Ellie serves this over lots of fresh salad greens. I didn't use any oil to dress my greens, just the fresh lemon juice which really gave this salad a bright taste.

I even served the leftovers in my husband's lunch, but turned it into a chicken salad sandwich.
My kids enjoyed this tucked into mini whole wheat pitas.
I will definitely make this again.
Check out the CEiMB Blogroll to see what everyone else thought about this Curried Chicken Salad!
Curried Chicken Salad from Ellie Krieger

  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, no more than 3/4-inch thick
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt (I used nonfat Greek yogurt)
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I omitted this completely)
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 cup halved red grapes
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 ounces mixed greens (about 5 cups lightly packed))
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (I omitted this)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Bring the broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add chicken to broth and simmer, covered, for 8 minutes. Turn the heat off and let chicken stand in the cooking liquid, covered, until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the broth and cool completely in the refrigerator. Cut into 1/4-inch dice. Toast the almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and beginning to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, and curry powder. Fold in the chicken, grapes and cilantro and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, toss the greens with the oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange the greens on 4 individual plates, top with a scoop of the chicken salad and sprinkle with the almonds.


Recipe for Curried Chicken Salad

9 comments:

Kayte said...

You aren't going to do CEiMB anymore? You will be greatly missed. Your chicken salad looks great and I love your subs. I didn't dress the greens either, they were great just as they were. Please reconsider posting to CEiMB, I always look forward to your take on things.

Kayte said...

Okay, did you reconsider yet? Did you decide to stay? If so, hurrah, and if not, well, let's take a little more time to think about it, okay?

Kayte said...

Still thinking? Can I do anything to encourage you to stay in the group? Does begging carry any weight? If so, consider this begging. It feels so much more friendly with you there.

Joanne said...

Easy, and good. Yours looks delicious. Ours resulted in a WAY too creamy version in my book but Ted liked it that way. Maybe because I never do anything quite so saucy.

Anonymous said...

I love curry and curried salads are the bomb! yum.

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to make this recipe forever. It looks and sounds so good - I've got to get on the ball! Your substitutions sound yummy - I keep meaning to try subbing Greek yogurt for mayo and I think this recipe will be a good one to do it with!

Maria said...

I love the Greek yogurt in there. Nice!

Unknown said...

I love chicken salad!

Pamela said...

Awww...we'll certainly miss you over at CEiMB. I'm with Kayte....STAY!! Anyway, nice job on the salad. I made it, but never got the post up. Looks tasty.