Sunday, May 3, 2009

Jicama and Black Bean Salad

Here is a quick, delicious, fresh recipe from one of my favorite blogs-Cafe Johnsonia. Lindsey makes some pretty amazing creations. Everything I see makes me drool. Don't even get me started on her ice cream making skills. So, if you haven't checked out her blog, go over there and bookmark it.

I love the time of year that just seems to call for salads. Light and delicious meals that are easy to throw together. It has yet to really warm up here, in my mind, but dishes like this make it easier to imagine warm weather and are happily enjoyed by my family anytime.
My kids love jicama-so I knew this salad would be a hit. We had it on the side with a meal one night and then ate the leftovers with tortilla chips and lettuce leaves. Yummy!
Give it a try- the flavors are perfect.
Jicama and Black Bean Salad by Lindsey Johnson
1 small jicama, peeled and cut into 1/4" dice
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4" dice
1 cup yellow corn
4-5 green onions, sliced, white and tender green parts only
Juice of 1 lime
1-2 tsp. grapeseed or other flavorless oil (like canola)
coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
pinch of chili powder
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Combine the jicama, black beans, red pepper, corn and green onions in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together lime juice, oil, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Pour over the veggies and stir to coat. Just before serving, add the cilantro. Makes 4-6 servings as a side dish.
Up Next- Muhummara Dip

14 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Great looking dip Mary Ann. Lindsey's blog is one of my favourite's as well!

Steph said...

That salad looks delicious and very flavourful! I love bean salad.

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

Oh that looks so good and refreshing!! :-)

Netts Nook said...

Mary Ann your Salad looks great I love Lindsey's blog also.

Maria said...

I saw this on Lindsey's blog. I still need to make it. Thanks for the reminder!

Shari said...

What a colorful spring salad. Looks delicious, too! Nice job!

Kerstin said...

What a lovely salad - looks so fresh and delicious!

Karen said...

I love salads with black beans. Looks delicious!

Mumsy said...

Thanks for all your kind words. I need to make it again, too. :)

Your pictures are so lovely.

Treehouse Chef said...

This is a great summer salad. I can see it as a side or with chips or topping for burgers. Yum!!!

Aggie said...

I am so happy that you are finally experiencing weather that is calling for salads!! (I don't feel as guilty anymore!)

I love me some jicama! What a great combo here, and would love some with some tortilla scoops!

Anonymous said...

I love jicama! This looks wonderful and perfect for warm weather.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I love salads with corn and black beans. I've not done much with jicama, so I'll have to bookmark this one!
Nancy

Beth T. said...

I made this and it is so delicious and refreshing! I added a nice firm tomato, seeded and diced. I ate it on romaine lettuce leaves and felt so healthy! This is the first time I used jicama and now I am a super fan! Thank you for the recipe.