Sunday, September 28, 2008

Beef Stroganoff

Sometimes you have to make something for dinner that will please those who like meat and not tofu. Sometimes that meal will also include mushrooms. Most likely this dinner will not be too photogenic, but will garner rave reviews from everyone except the person who made it, because she couldn't make herself eat it. This is that dinner.
I do not like mushrooms. I shared that a few days ago. They are one of the few foods I really don't like. I can eat them on pizza or in small pieces, but when they are the star of the show along with beef (not something I enjoy), I just have a hard time.

So, I myself, didn't eat this (I was sneaky, so no one noticed), but everyone else did and they loved it, so I thought I would share it. It is another of my great grandmother's recipes that I revisited and changed a little (I didn't really think that cooking the meat in crisco was a good idea!) I also used sirloin steak and that reduced the cooking time a little bit.
If you want an updated Stroganoff, give it a try!


Beef Stroganoff by Great Grandma Ruthardt, adapted by Mary Ann
1 lb. 1/4-inch thick round or sirloin steak
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 Tbls canola oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 cups water mixed with 1 beef boullion cube or 1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 lb fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup greek yogurt
2 Tbls chopped fresh chives or scallions

Rub steak with minced garlic. Mix flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Slice steak unto 1x1 1/2-inch slices and toss in flour mixture. Heat oil in a dutch oven or cast iron pot. Add meat and brown well. (Keep the flour mixture). Add the onions and cook until transparent.
Add remaining flour mixture, water/broth, and mushrooms. Cover and cook slowly until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours (or if you use the sirloin steak, 35-45 minutes)
Stir occasionally. If the sauce is not thickening, mix 1-2 Tbls cornstarch and a small amount of cold water in a small bowl. Bring the sauce to a bubble and add cornstarch mixture and heat until thick.
Add greek yogurt. Serve with egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Sprinkle chives or scallions on top.

6 comments:

Alexa said...

That looks like a recipe that my husband and kids would love. You are so funny sneaking off and getting away with not eating any.:-) I am glad your husband and kids did not miss the Crisco (lol).

Aggie said...

My husband would love this, your recipe looks great, I will have to give it a try!

What a horrible weekend of football for us. We were actually at the Gator game. The one game we got to go to this year. Ugh. Didn't see how you all ended up but I know it wasn't looking good early on.

Prudy said...

We've got quite a few dinners like that around here-made for the masses and not for the chef. It looks wonderful to me!

Jenny said...

Ok, I have got to make this. I havn't had stroganoff in ages. Yours looks and sounds sooo good!

Cathy said...

You were so great to make this even though you're not a fan. It looks great (it might not be photogenic, but you made it look good!). My husband would love it, and so would my kids if they would just try a little bite, which sometimes they will, and sometimes they won't!

Maria said...

I am not a big fan of stroggies! That is what we called this dish growing up, we hated it when it was stroggie night! ha!! I am sure yours is good though. Thanks for bringing back memories from childhood:)